Monday 6 September 2010

Competition ! ... Finally


Finally, got the car ready, and out to an event. Forrestburn Hillclimb, organised by Monklands Sporting Car Club 28th/29th Aug. It was an eventful weekend.
Arrived at the site with plenty of time, and awaited nervously, the visit of the scrutineers. I had already dicussed items with Robin Wallace, but without him seeing the car, I was cautious. However, the experience was much better, with Robin discussing the changes I had made, Ticket issued, car okay to compete.
It was then try to find out how everything worked, expecting driver briefing, but in the end the Clerk of the Course drove me round to show the critical points etc.
Being brave, stupid or deluded, I fitted the slicks which came with the car, and was then a mad rush to get on Fireproof kit etc before being released from the paddock. Gently off to the start line, plenty of butterflies.Tried warming the tyres prior to the start line, started okay, and then found every time I got to the power-band, the rear end stepped out. This got worse, when approaching the hairpin, just went straight on. Marshals, pulled me out of the gravel, but just a bit further on, the car took a liking to the grass, and off again, but could get back on.
A very scary uninspiring start. Suspected the tyres, and in discussion with other entrants this became the direction of thoughts. The tyres are at least 8 yrs old, and feel very hard, some softening after the run, but not what was expected. Went out for 2nd practise run, and attempting to warm up brakes, the car cam to a halt on the bank prior to the start line. Wouldn't move with clutch in, engine stalled and wouldn't restart. As the queue grew behind me, I signalled the start-line marshals for assistance to get out of the way. Thoughts of seized transmission etc going through my mind, but with assistance from family ferrying tools from the paddock,
I started dismantling rear brake drums as I suspected these had jammed on.
Application of large ball-pain hammer would not reset the pistons, so it was a strip down. Found a ridge has formed in the brake cylinder, and my heavy braking had pushed the pistons past, and they would not return.
So spent an hour or so by the start line stripping the rear brakes, and carefully removing the ridge. Finally got things working at about time of 1st competitive run. Note, the brakes hadn't been bleed at this point. I asked if I could drive the car back to the paddock after the session had finished, which I did on brakes which had to be pumped a lot. Gave up on any attempt to get a further run in, and set to with Angie to bleed the brakes. Everybody was stopping by to ask what had happened, and would I be ready for Sunday. So, tidied up, covered the car and went off for a hot bath, & then take family for a curry & a film.

Sunday
Not quite such an early start, uncovered car, and started changing to the wet tyres which were somewhat softer. A bit more organised and got to the start line without mishap. The car was now drive-able, although I had a very tentative run, with a final sting in the tail - the throttle stuck open on the finish line. Killed the engine fearing damage, but couldn't restart - pushed back to paddock by a group of good Samaritans :-). No sooner bonnet was up than various heads appeared attempting to diagnose problem. Problem fixed within minutes.
Second practise run was an improvement - at least 3 secs quicker. Car wouldn't start for 3rd practise run, but after assistance from John Fitzgerald(another Leader owner), got things going.

So, each competitive run was 1/2 sec quicker, but a lot more to come. I was  satisfied  with the weekend considering this is the 1st time the car has been used in 8 yrs, and a lot longer for me and competitive motorsport. 
So, Doune on 18th/19th Sept will be the next outing, with overhauled brakes, and a few other minor tidy up jobs done.

No comments:

Post a Comment